The state of Punjab glimmers with the beautiful artwork of Phulkari ever since time immemorial. For those who don’t know, Phul means flower and Kari means craft. So, just as the name suggests, Phulkari literally means floral caft.
The fine embroidery done with floss silk thread on coarse hand woven cotton fabric is something that fascinates not only Punjabis but, attracts people from other cultures as well. Phulkari is a true folk art of Punjab, and it is present in various types to satisfy the needs of the customers at different occasions. We present to you 5 different types of Phulkaris that will adorn you on every occasion.
1. Til Patra – The word Til Patra basically means the ‘sprinkling seeds’ and the similar is seen in Til Patra Phulkari, which has an alluring pattern of sesame seeds spread all over. Making it a good option for those family gatherings and partiess.
2. Neelak – This black and red beauty with yellow embroidery is all you need for the festive season of Basant Panchmi. Neelak Phulkari is a very graceful and elegant embroidery.
3. Chope and Subhar – Chope and Subhar Phulkari is perfectly designed for bridal wear with splendid embroidery spread across the four edges of the cloth.
4. Senchi Phulkari – This represents the designs of jewelry such as rugs, necklaces, earrings and birds throughout the phulkari embroidery in a methodical way, and can be wore on regular basis. Senchi Phulkari is best found in Ferozpur.
5. Chhamaas – This very beautiful Chhamaas Phulkari depicts mirror work sewn into cloth with vibrant threads of grey, blue and yellow color. Chhamaas Phulkari can be flaunted anytime, anywhere because its mirror work is something that suits almost every occasion. Now that you all are well aware of the different types of Phulkari, you are well-prepared to go ahead and shop for this beautiful embroidery work. Stay tuned to know some shop stops for buying stunning Phulkari!
And now it’s time to know the best shop stops for purchasing this beautiful piece of art.
1. Phulkari, Punjab government emporium – This Phulkari store provides an amazing range of embroideries in some really out of the box colors. Phulkari, Punjab government emporium is located at SCO 27, Sector 17, Chandigarh.
2. Rana Phulkari Corner – Rana Phulkari Corner is well known for its beautiful Phulkari embroidery at affordable rates. You can visit this store in Patiala at #788 – 7, near water tank – main road, Tripura road.
3. Phulkari Studio – Phulkari studio is one the best Phulkari store you could ever visit, owing to its perfect blend of Phulkari in varied outfits. It is located at SCO 56-59 (Basement), Sector 17 C, near CMC Hospital, Chandigarh.
4. Janki Phulkari – This Indian clothing store is located at 954, Street no. 14, Tripura road, Patiala. Janki Phulkari caters to providing Phulkari design for every sort of occasion with specialized designs for all age groups.