There are certain slangs that have passed the test of time, and keep recurring in the Punjabi culture – the slangs which can’t resist their charm in our daily dialogue. So, we bring to you some common Punjabi slangs, which are randomly interweaved in our day-to-day language, and are definitely fun to use.
1. Haan vii! Kiddan? – The most common slang since time immemorial! ‘Haanvi kiddaan’, is the general way of greeting our companion and asking them how they have been so far.
2. Hor ki chalda? – ‘Hor ki chalda’ is just the Punjabi version of what’s happening, because what’s up seems to be so absurd. If anyone asks me what’s up, I am more like it’s the ceiling or the sky. Duh! Am I the only person who feels so?
3. Main tere chittar maarne ae – When someone is behaving like a bear with sore head, this the first slang that comes to the mouth of a Punjabi. So, better don’t mess with Punjabis or get ready to get beaten black and blue.
4. Wadda aaya – This very famous Punjabi slang can be used in any situation by prefixing whatever the demand of the situation arises. You know, like ‘Wadda aaya James Bond’ or ‘Wadda aaya apne aap nu Einstien samjhda’.
5. Haye ni, sadqay jawan – It is more like I am so mesmerized by you, that I don’t mind sacrificing. Remember having a glance of the girl next door and saying, ‘Haye ni sohniye, teri beauty te taan main saday jawan!’
6. Durr Fitteh muh – Durr Fitteh Muh basically translates as a curse, meaning may your face burn in hell. However, we Punjabis are so down to earth that we don’t believe in cursing. So, it is just another Punjabi slang used in a humorous way.
7. Muh changa ni hoye taan banda gall changi kar lenda ae – This is my personal favorite, meaning that if you don’t have a nice face at least have a nice talk!
8. Main keha ji – This is the Punjabi way of initiating a conversation. Like main keha ji ajj taan cha sirra si or something Pummy aunty usually says, Main keha ki tuhanu pta ae Bittu di kudi oh duji galli aale Mundey naal firdi si? This slang has witnessed more stories than those written in the human history.
9. Main tere vat ke chapped maarni ae – Keeping in view the human evolution process, this Punjabi slang has even been modified to something like Main tere vat ke chapped maarni ae, aape Kanneda Paunch jauga. (Human evolution you see. You can reach Canada by a slap! Kudos to Punjabi science and technology).
10. Khair chaddo hun, mitti pao. – Ajj kal writers kuch vi likhde rehndey ne! Khair chaddo, mitti pao. These were our favorite Punjabi slangs, and we would truly love to know yours. Don’t forget to comment.